The Galveston Boat Club was formed in 1927. At that time, it was known as the Galveston Outboard Motorboat Club (GOMC), but benefited all persons interested in outboarding, yachting, rowing and sail-boating.
The Club saw tremendous interest and growth thru the 30’s and 40’s. By the late 40’s the sailors had started a fleet of sniper-class boats and competed with yacht clubs along the Gulf Coast. By 1955, the popular Sailfish and Sunfish sailboat sailors had formed a fleet at the Club, and weekend racing was the rage. But more importantly, the land that the club had leased now belonged to the club members as bonds were sold to members to finance the purchase of the property from Standard Dredging Co.
Following Hurricane Carla in 1961 the Club directors set up the first substantial storm reserve fund. In the 70’s the directors elected to tear down the main clubhouse and rebuild what is now the current clubhouse.
The 80’s and 90’s saw the re-building of the bulkheads, a swimming pool added along with landscaping, security and gating, the purchase of additional property along Ave. O and membership grew to our current membership level. In 2007 the pool decking was expanded to accommodate two pergolas and a Rainbow playset was added.
The Club has survived a number of storms over its history; none more damaging than Hurricane Ike, which struck the Island on September 13, 2008. The Board of Directors worked tirelessly to rebuild the club to its Pre-Ike condition. During this time, the Board elected to tear down the two storm damaged houses on Ave. O and purchase the ally way from the city that lye between the club and the two properties, which would allow the club to expand the number of outdoor boat storage available at the club.
The Galveston Boat Club has endured many changes over its history. It’s been the flexibility and willingness of its membership to adjust with the times that has allowed the club to flourish while maintaining its “Laid Back” style. A place where bare feet are the norm.